Sunday, April 1, 2007

(Assignment Post) Readings Week 9

Please post at least two thoughtful comments on the readings for this week: pages 266-286 in the Fusco book and the following two JSTOR articles: Shaping Belief: The Role of Audience in Visual Communication, by Ann C. Tyler and Art and Audience, by Nick Zangwill. You can comment on any issue raised that you wished, but please cite your reference with a page number so that we know where you are coming from. Of particular interest may be parallel and conflicting perspectives on audience for designers versus artists, as well as claims of audience necessity or ancillary status as you are placing yourself in an audience position.

2 comments:

Josh said...

The article “Shaping Belief” by Ann Tyler reminds me of the article we read in class about anti-environment. By articulating the principles and motives of graphic design in relation to the intended audiences of designers, the author acts as an artist, bringing to our conscious attention the formulas that govern the usually subconscious visual arguments of advertising. I guess according to this idea, anytime one engages in or is exposed to analysis of the world, he is engaging in art. Over spring break I went to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science to see a Ben Franklin exhibit. In order to give his publishing company more credibility among his audience, he invented a Coat of Arms and printed it on the front his publications. He also wrote many published letters and opinion columns under various fake names to elicit different responses among readers. I enjoyed the fact that he was using these techniques 250 years ago.

Josh said...

In the article Art and Audience, pg 14 and 17, the author denies the experience during creation as a sole motive for the creation of art, or what he calls autostimulation. He claims the experience during creation is only either to monitor the valuable properties of the art or to provide feedback for future experimentation. I cannot logically and philosophically refute this claim because the nature of the transcendent experience that is sometimes achieved during the process of creating art defies definition and is probably considered metaphysical by the author. For him to understand that some artists, especially musicians, seek entirely the “trancelike” and “meditative” state of mind achieved during creation, I believe he would have to experience that state for himself. I assume that his denial of autostimulation as a sole motive for art creation is a reflection of his inexperience as an artist, and for him I would prescribe a large dose of ritual drumming. Take that Nick Zangwell