Please post at least two thoughtful comments on the reading for this week: section 8 in the library reserve binder: Actuals: A Look into Performance Theory by Richard Schechner.
Here are some considerations:
•Concerning Schechner's use of the term "actuals:" what are the implications for performance art specifically? What examples can you think of that fit within/outside of his parameters?
•What examples can you cite relevant to artistic practice that bear out his categories of contemporary (or modern) movements: "wholeness," "process and organic growth," "concreteness," and "religious transcendental experience"?
•Concerning ritual, are you aware of rituals that are examinable and explainable following his model? Elaborate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I thought this article was pretty interesting and I particularly liked the accounts of tribal rituals. I imagine that most conceptual artists, especially those with a capitol C, would incorporate a lot of these ideas into their manifestos or artists statements. A majority of the performance artists we have studied thus far that did work in the time of Conceptual art seem to have been satisfying the 'yearnings' as Schechner calls them. His comment on the interest in anthropology begun in the 60's reminds me of a show I once saw that was debunking the myth or perception created in the 60's that Neanderthals (an ape descendent species unrelated to homo-sapian but that lived in caves and used fire) lived in pseudo-hippie communes complete with flowers adorning their furry bodies. Interesting.
Post a Comment