Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Readings for Week 7

Here is what you need to do before class on Monday:

Read pages 59-96 in the Fusco book; read section 5 in the Readings Binder on reserve in the library, In Defense of Performance by Guillermo Gomez-Pena; post 2 comments on the forthcoming "assignment post;" add 4 links to your del.icio.us page; attend one of the options for a required event this week and post a blog entry describing the experience and critiquing the performative elements.

The Tania Bruguera performance last night in Boulder was a bit of a problem in that CU never posted the details of the performance, and I was unable to get the details from the phone number listed. Therefore, if you made it up there last night and found the event, SUPER kudos to you, and post about your experience. Otherwise, because it was a slight fiasco, I have added another option for required events this week. Here are your choices:

•Rock Your Mind Lecture and Performance Series
Hip Hop to Hardcore: Miles White and the Flobots
March 10, 6:30 - 9pm
The Lab at Belmar, 404 S. Upham St. Lakewood, CO 80226

•Attend the opening for Katrina: Catastrophe and Catharsis at the FAC Friday evening and critique the performative behavior of the patrons. I am interested in interactions and behaviors of artists, curators, and patrons, not the art being exhibited (except in the way that the art affects behavior and creates observable space). Follow link for details on the show and opening.

2 comments:

+Sooin+ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
+Sooin+ said...

I attended "Rock Your Mind Lecture and Performance Series
Hip Hop to Hardcore: Miles White and the Flobots", and it was a really very interesting performing. Also, the set and stage displyed very freely. His lecture was also great because I never thought about hip-hop form could be performing art. I met Sarah, and she said it would be great that other students could come here and see it. His performing was extremely great. His theme of rapping(?) performing were gender, race, and war. There was a short part like,"We've always learn about war, but we never learned about peace." This part really touched me. I will put some pictures(of his performing) on my flick page.