Sunday, March 4, 2007

Grandpa's Still in the Tuff Shed (assignment post)

For those of you who attended Friday night's screening of Grandpa's Still in the Tuff Shed, post 2 thoughtful comments on the film and/or Dr. Macaulay's lecture. Consider performative elements in the history, the festival, and the hype of the circumstances.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Everyone else missed a very funny movie. I thought the movie was very uplifting in the sense that the events leading up to Frozen Dead Guy Days and the life of Trygve were absolutely absurd. The ridiculous things that people do can be a source of pure joy. Trygve certainly lived his life as a performance (whether he would consider so I am not sure) and it was his performative, extraverted, unlawfull behavior that has made him famous in Nederland. I am wondering if he planned on getting caught by the INS because he knew that the discovery of Grandpa would create media attention. If so, he would certainly be a social interventionist, but if this was not his intent, he did inadvertantly discover one way in which someone can create publicity.

Josh said...

Dr. MacAuley's performance (lecture) was interesting to me because of the nature of her audience. As one of her students, I have seen her "teacher in class" persona which was somewhat but not totally replicated in the lecture. Most of the people there were her peers and colleagues. It was interesting and enjoyable to observe her more casual behavior. Anyway, this particular observation was interesting since it was in Dr. MacAulay's Ethnography class that I first started considering performative elements of everyday life and the various roles that people perform for different audiences. Now I'm using the very tools she gave me against her!! Bwa ha ha. Also I got to perform a monetary transaction with Maria by purchasing some Haribo gummy letters. Performative commerce is somewhat awkward.