Monday, February 5, 2007

Art Service (You Got Served)

•In what ways was this exercise useful to you?
•What are your reactions to the demonstrations of the other "team"?
•Did you consider yourself "audience" to the other team?
•Respond to your audience--the other team, passersby, etc. Did you find that you wanted their attention? Did you feed off of spectators?
•How did team membership influence your willingness or lack of willingness to perform? How did it affect what you chose to do?

5 comments:

Manda said...

This exercise was way outside of my comfort zone. I have a very difficult time coming up with spur of the moment gestures. This exercise made me very uncomfortable. I really do not think it benefited me at all. I did however; find it entertaining to watch those who have a passion for this type of exercise. They all did an amazing job, and if anything, I felt as if I held my team back. Even working as a team, I had difficulty. I could kind of feel that they knew I was not going to be much help in this exercise, which added more to being uncomfortable in this situation.

Josh said...

I didn't consider myself as part of an audience to the other team as much as a performer for everyone and an audience member to everyone. Especially in the library it was 'Performance Art Class vs. Kids on Computers', and I felt less opposed to the other team when we were all perfoming in front of many strangers. It was very difficult to invent impromptu performances especially when self-consciousness dominates your thoughts. It was a good 'loosening up' exercise because it was practice performing and trying to feel free doing so. Personally I think Jeff is the reigning 'You Got Served' champion, using the free speech zone to perform innuendo on our beloved school mascot.

Ultralizer said...

I'm not a huge fan of performance to begin with but I do like IMPROV activities. As a whole I think it was fun to be out of the comfort zone of the Osborne and truly have an audience. As much as performance art can be a statement for and by "self" it is more intentional when an audience is involved. It is that level of intention that makes me consider "art" on a different level.

+Sooin+ said...

I defintely did not know what we are going to do. I am not a very shy person, but like this exercise made me confuse. However, it went to a little bit of fun outside because there was not too many people. It was fun with people(class people)whom I know. However, in the library, I felt a very big thing. I need to have more challenge to perform mine. There will be no partition of udiences, time, and place. We could see other students differences, so I think it was a good execise for a 'performing' class. I still do not think I can do perform in front of other people, and it still makes me uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

this exercise was something compleatly new to me. i enjoyed it on many levels, and i like to think i pushed myself outside of my comfort zone. I laughed at many of the perfomances and was amazed by some of the spur of the moment creativity. Jeff and i are good friends, so having him on my team definaly helped loosen me up a bit. Having Josh another friend of mine, on the other side helped too, because i knew he wouldnt take anything out of context or jest. i definalty dont think i fed off the audience in the library, instead, i think i compleatly blocked them out. i dont know if its good or bad, but i felt more like "this is my space, my time, and my friends, nothing else matters" After looking around, though, i belibe Josh's interpretation of glazed over faced students was fairly acurate. I personaly think that when our team brought together the dance in unison, we had something great going on.