Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Beaver Trilogy (assignment post)

For those of you that made it to the film last night, please post at least two thoughtful comments on the film.

Here are some considerations:
•Discuss Gary's characters (that he portrays) in contrast to the characters portrayed by (Sean Penn's) Larry and (Crispin Glover's) Larry.

•Discuss transformations or other subtleties between Gary and the two Larrys (who are both characters portrayed by actors).

•Examine a trajectory (thematic or otherwise) from the first film, an accidental documentary, through the other two subsequent fictionalized films.

•Highlight any performative methods (and locate them in the piece so I know what you are talking about) that were particularly effective or that may be useful to you in your personal practice.

4 comments:

+Sooin+ said...

I saw the Film, and it was... I felt a little bit sad... -_-;; I was like "ah... why...? T^T" kk
Anyway, it was fun to me that there were "younger" actors...kk

Manda said...

I found the film, Beaver Trilogy, to be very humorous regarding the original documentary about Trent Harris’ accidental meeting of Gary. The fact of it being a spur of the moment film is what made it so interesting. Also, the time period that this had taken place made the film quite amusing, the whole tight, bell bottom pants, and long hair. When they reproduced same scenario, they added pieces to each ending. So, the first piece was the original film footage that had been shot by Trent Harris. During this portion of the film, Gary seemed to be in denial. The whole film he sat there saying how he is a guy and how he dresses up for fun. In the second portion of the film, Larry went through all of the same experiences as Gary, but then became suicidal as he began to realize he really did enjoy being a woman. The third portion of the film went through all the same scenarios as the first two, but in the end, Larry had learned to accept himself for what he was.

Josh said...

Crispin Glover acted in both the Orkly Kid and Back to the Future in 1985. I couldn't determine which one came first but I think it is obvious that George McFly's character from Back to the Future was heavily influenced if not modeled after Gary the Beaver Kid.

Josh said...

The original documentary was not sad at all. Gary appeared to have the support of the Beaver community and he didn't exhibit any of the internal conflict invented in the second two movies. The trilogy made me think of both Napolean Dynomite and American Idol reject shows. There is something fascinating and endearing about someone oblivious to his own dorkiness. They're not subject to the same self-conciousness that most people are. I'm very glad that he didn't commit suicide in the second two films. Those scenes possibly made the audience realize just how much they liked Gary and how tragic his suicide would be.